Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Never Forget

September 11, 2001 was a day I will never forget. It is a day that all Americans will never forget. I was an 11-year-old sixth grader sitting in Mrs. Barrett's homeroom when I heard the screams of a teacher down the hall. As an eleven year old, I didn't really understand what was going on. Even 12 years later, I still don't know what I was thinking at the moment when we sat watching it on tv or held hands in a prayer circle. The TV was off, then on, then off again. We didn't have cell phones, so we weren't able to communicate with our parents like we would be able to now. It was scary. It was unreal. It didn't really sink in. I was eleven. Yes, it is true: you will never forget what you were doing on that day, where you were, who you were with. I had no idea what was going on. It was through the past 12 years that I know how to feel about it, process what happened, and let the events of that day move me.


In light of remembering today and all that it signifies, I hope America never forgets. Never forget the pride and love you felt for your country and leaders. Never forget to pray for others, to show others love and compassion. Never forget that in an instance, life can completely change. We may not always choose to look to God in times of joy and strength, or times of confusion and fear, but He is always faithful.

Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.- George W. Bush 9/11/01

No comments:

Post a Comment