Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Doom's Day"

Or better known as Valentine's Day. Yes, it is creeping around the corner. Just kidding. I saw this on Wikipedia (yes, not the best source, but I liked it) According to legend, in order "to remind these men of their vows and God’s love, Saint Valentine is said to have cut hearts from parchment", giving them to these soldiers and persecuted Christians, a possible origin of the widespread use of hearts on St. Valentine's Day.

So I am married. Yet Valentines Day is my least favorite "holiday." Maybe it is all the pink, or maybe it's the roses. I don't know. I do not hate it, but, what I do know is this: There is sure to be 4,000 "omg its single awareness day, eating with my two main men Ben & Jerry, couples make me vomit" status updates. On the flip side, there are going to be equally as many "Oh my gosh y'all, I have the most perfect bf/fiance/husband EVERRRRZ, he got me this, this, this, and EVEN this!!!!!! *insert kissy emoji*"

Stop.

Stop broadcasting your "status." I say this with absolute love and sincerity. It isn't about the chocolate or the roses. It isn't about the enormous $75 teddy bear. It isn't about the gifts upon gifts you may or may not receive. Stop giving into the status quo that a DAY defines your life. This day doesn't make me any more married than I already am. Nor, does this day make you any more single than you are.


I have never really celebrated this day. However, I am not denying that we will not celebrate it. We will probably go out to dinner thanks to all the amazing giftcards we received from the wedding. Yes, I will probably Instagram a pic of us to contrast the 3928 wedding pictures we have. And we never do anything, so what a great opportunity. We are taking time to spend together and appreciate each other.


Here's my point. It's not to knock this day- don't get me wrong, we all want a day to feel loved and showered with fun presents, and to know that we are special to someone. It's not to harp on any one or any thing. I guess I wrote it as a reminder to me, to take a step back more than anything. So, instead of negativity and bragging, let's just enjoy the moment that we are in. In a society so caught up in documenting everything, why don't we use that for the good. Let's appreciate each other. Let's share how special the people in our lives are. Celebrate each other in a different ways. Celebrate your significant other. Celebrate your friends. Celebrate your family. Celebrate your dog(s). Celebrate your co-workers. Celebrate your life, your crazy, somewhat put together, life. Use this day as thanksgiving. Use it as another beautiful reminder that you, my friend, are loved and cherished, regardless of your status.

This Valentines Day, whether you are at home alone or getting engaged, remember all the people you love and why they make your life so special. 








No comments:

Post a Comment