Tuesday, May 6, 2014

When you lose something you cannot replace

I have been avoiding my weekend recap.
You see, I guess I think if I don't type it, it won't be real.
For anyone that knows me [us], knows that we have a serious love for our two dogs.
They truly are our first "kids".
I do not say that to diminish the seriousness of having actual humans for children, but they are ours for now.
Saturday morning, we woke up at 5:15 to realize our sweet Hersh wasn't going to make it
for our first official night in our new home, which was that night.
At 14 years old, with severe arthritis, she had held on as long as she could.
Sparing the horrific details of that next hour, we rushed her to the vet immediately, knowing what would happen next.
Our sweet girl had a massive stroke, followed by two awful seizures.
I heard sounds and saw her in a way I never want to experience ever again.
An emptiness and brokenness came over us.
We stood there loving on her, knowing she was gone, and knowing there was nothing more we could do. 
Life literally changed drastically in a matter of one hour.
I will never forget the events of that day, and honestly how traumatic they were.
In that moment, I cried because of what I was seeing and hearing.
The tears literally did not stop for hours.
You see, that dog loved my husband, unconditionally, for 14 years.
Through his mother's death.
Through middle school and high school and college and marriage.
Through his brother moving to China.
Through living in four different states with him.
That dog was a part of him.
And she became a part of me too.
Though I had only had the privilege of loving her for a few years, it was like she had been a part of my life forever. 
She has been there since the beginning of us [Pat and I].
Literally.
She has been my pillow to cry, my constant snuggle partner and selfie taker, and the sweetest thing in our lives.
My heart hurts in a way that it never has before.
While the sting of that day is slowly wearing off, I catch myself tearing up because we just miss her.
 I miss her in ways I didn't think were possible.
But I am happy. I know that sweet girl doesn't have to hurt anymore.
And for that, I am so thankful.




 

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your sweet puppy. I have a lump in my throat reading this. My fur babies are just that - my babies. I am so, so, so sorry for your loss, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss!! Losing a fur baby is never easy! Sending prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, this brings tears to my eyes. Bringing me back when we had to put my beloved golden retriever down at the age of 12 due to cancer. It's such a shame that dogs don't live longer. They seriously are a man's best friend. I am dreading the day when my baby, Brady, who is now 8, goes to doggie Heaven. So sorry for your loss and that you had to see your pup suffer like that. Just think about all of the great memories you had with her and that she is no longer in pain.

    ReplyDelete